The transmitter device is used for the location and tracking of pigs. It is the single most important component of the CD42 system and has been developed to be the most durable transmitter, with the longest life, in the industry.
Every transmitter in the range emits a magnetic field which passes through the pipeline and is received on the surface by the CD42-GP antenna and passed on to the CD42-R receiver unit. The most common transmitters are the CD42-T1 and the CD42-T2 with the main difference being the signal strength: The CD42-T2 is 6.5 times stronger than the CD42-T1 which means that the CD42-T2 is able to work in larger and deeper pipelines.
Signal Strength of Transmitters
A number of variables can impact upon the signal strength of transmitters so it is hugely difficult to give an exact strength for the tools. The following will cause a reduction or loss in signal;
- Pipe wall thickness
- Metallic pipeline coverings such as road casings
- Large pipeline diameters
- Depth of pipeline cover
- Battery strength
Benefits of Electro-Magnetic and Acoustic Transmitters for Pig Location
- Resistant to shock and vibration
- Protected from hydrocarbons
- On-board computer allows for easy switching from between transmission patterns
- Manufactured to exacting tolerances
- Operate on the principles of magnetics, emitting electromagnetic fields at a frequency of 22Hz
- Screw cap for easy access to battery and pulse patterns